Hybrid Goose

Gestart door Jos Welbedacht, december 03, 2008, 20:04:50 PM

Vorige topic - Volgende topic

Jos Welbedacht

Hi,

I determined one parent of this bird as an Emperor goose but I am not sure about the other parent. The undertail coverts suggest a hybdrid, just like the strange throat pattern. Any ideas? (I did not see the bird)

http://www.birdpix.nl/album_page.php?pic_id=152969

Greetings,
Jos Welbedacht

Jos Welbedacht, Groningen
I said you could find me where the Nighthawks fly - dEUS: One advice, Space

lo.troisfontaine

Hoi,

Tussen Wanssum en Oud Bergen aan de Maas in Noord/Limburg loopt een identiek exemplaar en ook tussen een grotere groep brandganzen.

Mijn vermoeden dat er inderdaad Keizergans in terug te vinden is wordt nu dus eigenlijk bevestigd?
Is het een hybride? en mag je er dan vanuit gaan dat de andere helft of gedeelte van een brandgans afstamt?

Wie heeft het verlossende woord?

(er lopen nog een aantal andere hybriden rond, maar dit terzijde)

groeten,

Lo

Alcedo atthis

Hi ,. this is indeed a hybrid Anser canagicus x Branta leucopsis.

The black breast confirms the Branta leucopsis  parent as well as the dark beak.

The scaly pattern on flanks and back and wings confims Anser canagicus parent, as well as the white on head and neck, and the amount of white on the tail (There are some flight photos of the bird also).

In this hybrid the white on the head is often extended towards the throat compared to pure Anser canagicus.
The extremes are birds showing less white on the head than Anser canagicus on the one hand;
and birds showing an all white head and neck on the other hand.
greetings,
Jörn Lehmhus

Jos Welbedacht

Thanks for the comments,
I will give a comment on the Birdpix site.
Jos Welbedacht, Groningen
I said you could find me where the Nighthawks fly - dEUS: One advice, Space

Alcedo atthis

This may also be interesting as reference then. The hybrid Branta leucopsis x Anser canagicus in the Zoo of Karlsruhe, Germany. Sorry for the quality-it was quite dark and the birds quite far away when i took the photo.
greetings,
Jörn Lehmhus