Kaak op strand. Welke diersoort? Hulp gevraagd voor taxonomisch identificatie.

Gestart door Vincent_Verheyen, juli 16, 2018, 15:03:11 PM

Vorige topic - Volgende topic

Vincent_Verheyen

I would like to know which species this is. It concerns this observation:

Found this on the beach at Trouville-sur-Mer in France, on 11 May 2018 at 20:34PM. It was laying in the sand, close to a trash can. Considering the strong smell of sand within the skeleton, it must have been near the sea for a very long time.

The height of the only easily removable tooth (the smallest remaining one) is less than 25 milimeter.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Jaw_with_teeth_(lone_animal_bone)_found_on_beach_of_Trouville-sur-Mer_on_11_May_2018

• Remarks:

Many thanks in advance (alvast bedankt), Vincent Mia Edie Verheyen.

https://observation.org/waarneming/view/160056539
identification uncertain, observed at 2018-05-11 France - Calvados (14)

Douwe van der Ploeg

Douwe van der Ploeg

Vincent_Verheyen

Citaat van: Douwe van der Ploeg op juli 16, 2018, 15:39:23 PM
Have you got any measurements?

Within a week or two, I will take new pictures with good lighting and a measure/scale bar.

Rob Koelman

First impression: young pig (Sus scrofa). Could be wild or domesticated one.
Met vriendelijke groet, Rob

Rob Koelman

Findspot (according to Google Maps): beach of Calvados (France), near 'French restaurant Le Galathée'...

Speenvarken met glaasje calvados erbij!  ;D

Vincent_Verheyen

Citaat van: Douwe van der Ploeg op juli 16, 2018, 15:39:23 PM
Have you got any measurements?

Dear Douwe van der Ploeg, I have now added new higher resolution pictures which include measures.

Citaat van: Rob Koelman op juli 16, 2018, 18:57:19 PM
First impression: young pig (Sus scrofa). Could be wild or domesticated one.

Dear Rob Koelman, please see new pictures added to the top of this post. Do they allow you to determine whether this could be a wild or domesticated Sus scrofa?

Rob Koelman

Citaat van: Vincent_Verheyen op juli 22, 2018, 23:30:28 PMplease see new pictures added to the top of this post. Do they allow you to determine whether this could be a wild or domesticated Sus scrofa?

I'm afraid the distinction between wild and domestic pig is not possible with these pictures. As the bones are most likely recently dumped remains of a butchered pig, the distinction between wild or domesticated isn't of much interest either. Even if it is a wild pig, these remains don't tell anything about the original place where the animal has lived. Boldly said: just garbage...  B)