hybride eend van birdpix

Gestart door Vincent Hart, december 23, 2007, 22:59:48 PM

Vorige topic - Volgende topic

Vincent Hart

Groet, Vincent

Als je goed om je heen kijkt
zie je dat alles gekleurd is                    K. Schippers

Alcedo atthis

The white in the wing which is visible here are the upperwing coverts; so one of the parenst must be one oft the three species of wigeon (either Anas penelope, Anas americana or Anas sibilatrix).

The other species is still a mystery to me, but I do not think it is gadwall (Krakeend , Anas strepera); because the tertials seem to be all black.

The few Photos of hybrids Gadwall x Wigeon or American Wigeon I have seen show tertials close to the Wigeon species.
greetings,
Jörn Lehmhus

Jan Harteman

Is a wigeon X Anas falcata an option?

The hybrid Aix sponsa X Anas falcata gives this results:

Mind the light colored spot at the base of the bill... while both Wood duck and Falcated duck do not have a light spot at that location of the bill.

Jan

Alcedo atthis

Hi Jan, I think wigeon x falcated teal is not an option pecause in the gillham books on hybrid ducks
these hybrids look quite different:
-tertials in the one male hybrid eurasian wigeon x falcated duck mainly black, but with some thin white line in some,
- bill pattern like in hybrids wigeon x teal
-grey flancs , contrast to breast which has a colour like in wigeon
- head pattern rusty brown with a clear grean patch over the eye and getting wider towards the back of the head and with a broad black band over the neck.

chiloe wigeon x falcated teal are also in there:
-tertials of these black with thin white borders,
-but breast and flanc coloration near that of the hybrid we discuss here,
-however head pattern closer to the hybrid eurasian wigeon x falcated teal and bill pattern also like that one
-undertail coverts mainly white

when I see the bird from birdpix, i get the feel this involves chiloe wigeon--and a diving duck, possibly redcrested pochard ?
what do you think?
greetings,
Jörn Lehmhus