Witoogeend x ?

Gestart door frankmeer, september 13, 2007, 17:47:31 PM

Vorige topic - Volgende topic

frankmeer

http://www.dutchbirding.nl/
Picture Gallery

Does anyone know this one?
Witoogeend (Ferruginous Duck Aythya nyroca) x ?

Probably Kuifeend Aythya fuligula?
Frank van der Meer

Alcedo atthis

X Redcrested Pochard!

this is quite a variable hybrid, as you see in the attached picture of another one here
greetings,
Jörn Lehmhus

frankmeer

Then why is this x Krooneend?
Frank van der Meer

redmar_woudstra

I guess because of the yellow eye and the more reddish head?
groet,
Redmar

Alcedo atthis

Hi Frank,
The fluffy looking rounded head is a good indication for Netta rufina as well as the bill shape and bill coloration ( - it seems a grey bill with a hint of pink)

Whitish Eye and white undertail coverts as well as overall brownish coloration point to Aythya nyroca.

Note that the bird is still mainly in eclipse plumage (but somne of the paler flank feathers of breeding plumage come through already)

The birds of which I gave links or attached a photo are all in breeding plumage.

But the hybrids Aythya nyroca x Netta rufina  I have seen in eclipse plumage, had just this chocolate-brown coloration.

greetings,
Jörn Lehmhus

Jan Harteman

I agree with Jörn.
This is definatelly a hybrid Ferruginous duck (Witoogeend) X Red-crested pochard (Krooneend).

frankmeer

Allright, thanks everybody for the good explanation.
Frank van der Meer

redmar_woudstra

CiteerWhitish Eye and white undertail coverts as well as overall brownish coloration point to Aythya nyroca.
I guess I'll have to check my eyes...  :blink:  
groet,
Redmar

Alcedo atthis

Citeer
CiteerWhitish Eye and white undertail coverts as well as overall brownish coloration point to Aythya nyroca.
I guess I'll have to check my eyes...  :blink:
I guess this it seems a bit unclear?

Redmar, with the description of Eye and undertail coverts i was commenting the bird with which Frank started the thread.

Franks bird is in eclipse plumage, there these hybrids are often more nyroca-like, showing an overall brown plumage and white undertail coverts.

All the other birds are in breeding plumage, where undertail colourdsof this hybrid (always?) seem to be black.

Eye colour: ranges from whitish to a strange whitish pink or to reddish yellow tones. If you look at the Schaffhausen bird:

http://www.birding.ch/hybridsandstuff/moorkolben.html

this eye colour is intermediate between my photo and the bird posted by Frank.

greetings,
Jörn Lehmhus

redmar_woudstra

It was not unclear (with your explanation now even more clear!) but I thought the bird's eyes where white. I guess my eyes aren't as good as I think they are  ;)  
groet,
Redmar

Rick van der Weijde

I still find it quite remarkable that the photo's you have shown of Aythya nyroca x Netta rufina have grey-like flanks, while the bird in question don't even have a sign of that (also caused by the eclips plumage???).

All the best.
Rick
Rick van der Weijde
Corotauria Nature Photography

frankmeer

By the way, this is the other photo:
Frank van der Meer

Alcedo atthis

CiteerI still find it quite remarkable that the photo's you have shown of Aythya nyroca x Netta rufina have grey-like flanks, while the bird in question don't even have a sign of that (also caused by the eclips plumage???).

All the best.
Rick
yes! that´s what I think

(I go birding at a place where there are 3 male hybrids of this combination - brothers from a mixed breeding some years ago--In the non breeding eclipse plumage they always look like "chocolate" ducks to me--in breeding plumage very different, the one on my photo is one of them)
greetings,
Jörn Lehmhus