Baer's pochard or hybrid

Gestart door Alcedo atthis, mei 23, 2007, 13:56:05 PM

Vorige topic - Volgende topic

Alcedo atthis

http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=baer%27s+pochard&m=text

Aythya baeri is a species where I do not have much experience, but I am wondering is this within variation of baeri or a hybrid baeri x nyroca or something else?
greetings,
Jörn Lehmhus

Jan Harteman

Why would you suggest it is no Baer's pochard?

Above: Baer's pochard.

It is certainly no Ferruginous White-eye (Witoogeend)
It is no Australian White-eye (Aus. Witoogeend)
It is no Madagascar White-eye (LOL  :rolleyes: )

Just compare the bird with these Baer's pochards:

Aythya baeri in Zoo Thailand

In Japan

In Russia

The Baer's pochard is the only species with a green glow on its head.
All the others (Ferruginous, Australian and Madagascar) don't show this.  

Alcedo atthis

Hi Jan,

Green gloss , yes, but all Baers pochards I had seen so far (not many, all in captivity) had a black head with green gloss,

like the lower 2 birds on the photos you provided.

I had never before seen the reddish brown head coloration as in the bird in question and in the upper foto you provided.

So this reddish brown head is also a possibility for the coloration of male Baer´s pochard??????
greetings,
Jörn Lehmhus

Jan Harteman

The light colour can be seen in young males, when they get older (2nd year) it gets darker.

Alcedo atthis

Hi Jan ,

To me the problem is:
I would agree with young males showing a more brownish head, in coloration more similar to the female,

but this bird has a reddish brown coloration which is not mentioned in ID-features for young males (or any plumage stage for the species, eg. eclipse plumage).

I also asked birders with experience with the species in the field in east Asia; and for them this reddish brown is also odd.

Therefore I have to ask if you have bred the species yourself and know this from personal observation???

There is a clear hybrid of Baer´s pochard x Ferrugieous duck on this website, if you scroll halfway down, but that bird is very much on the ferrugieous duck side:

http://www.birdskorea.org/BLmar07.asp

So I am wondering how a hybrid would look that is more on the Baer´s side?

Best regards, Jörn
greetings,
Jörn Lehmhus

Jan Harteman

Hm, you might be right.

(I don't have breeding experience Ferruginous and Baer's pochard myself, but I have been working with them for some months as a volunteer.)

Alcedo atthis

greetings,
Jörn Lehmhus

Alcedo atthis

greetings,
Jörn Lehmhus