Hoofdmenu

Saturnia pyri

Gestart door Judiver, november 11, 2010, 15:02:36 PM

Vorige topic - Volgende topic

Judiver

Hi everyone,

I found this Giant Peacock Moth on my hedge of Elaeagnus x ebbingei last July. I live in the utter southwestern part of France, about 60 kms from the Spanish border and 15 kms from the Atlantic ocean.

It stayed on the hedge all afternoon. I hope to stumble on one of its beautiful caterpillars some day!

Greetings,
Judith
Saint-Vincent-de-Tyrosse, France

David Tempelman

hello Judith, did you submit your record of this pretty creature ? feel free to do so, we like these sightings.
regards,
met vriendelijke groet,
David

Judiver

David,

I first sent a post to Waarneming.nl where someone suggested me to submit my obversation to Observado.org (and as you noticed I did that this afternoon).

Where else would you like me to submit this giant butterfly? Would you be able to include the link? That would be helpful.

Thanks and best regards,

Judith

David Tempelman

hello Judith, you've posted your photo's on the forum here, but scrolling through the records entered in the observado database i'm missing your record. if you like, you might register as observer and actually submit your records. the forum is, well, a forum and observers need to actually introduce their sightings in order to include them in the database. feel free to register and do so but on the other hand don't feel obliged  ;)
to view submitted 2010 records of your pretty moth click here:
http://observado.org/soort/view/80244
met vriendelijke groet,
David

Judiver

Hello David,

I just added my giant moth :) , as well as some other sightings of moths/butterflies.

The thing that I find unpractical (and not very scientific) is that the site doesn't recognize the species (moth, butterfly or plant) unless you enter the English name. Moreover not all names are listed. The hedge on which this moth slept was an Elaeagnus x ebbingei, which wasn't in the list of plants, whereas it is a very commonly (cultivated) plant here...

Thanks for the link!

Judith

David Tempelman

hello Judith,
in case you'd want to enter your record of the moth, first select the species group, which in this case is 'moths'  ;
then second, enter the species name. if you'd just enter the first few letters of the scientific name, e.g. 'satu', you get a drop-down list, and your moth is there, somewhere 6th species of the drop down-list. yes you're right the 'local name' come first, followed by the scientific name. but entering just 4 letters of the scientific name and this quickly finding the right species works for me  ;) anyway merci beaucoup for uploading your record + photos. salut,
met vriendelijke groet,
David

Judiver

David,

I was able to enter all of my moth/butterfly sightings, but only after having found and entered the English name first, except for the cream-spot tiger moth (it didn't recognize the English name but accepted the latin...). Oh well...

I hope to be able to upload some other interesting stuff in the future, as it will mean that more butterflies/moths/caterpillars visit my garden. Sometimes I find it amazing that I do have butterflies here, as just about everyone uses insecticides, snail poison etc. around here. The garages here sometimes look more like chemical storage depots than garages...

Il n'y a pas de quoi ! Et un bonjour chaleureux de la France...

Judith