chileense smient hybride?

Gestart door JohanvantBosch, juni 13, 2009, 20:06:42 PM

Vorige topic - Volgende topic

Alcedo atthis

Well, chileense smient certainly is one parent...

but the other? this is very difficult!

could it be an eclipse plumaged male  Anas sibilatrix x Aix sponsa? or a female A. sibilatrix  x Aix sponsa?

It surely does look very different from a breeding plumaged male A. sibilatrix x Aix sponsa!

But something in this bird makes me think it is not an Anas x an Anas....and the dark in the middle of the upper mandible of the bill, as well as head shape and tail shape make me think wood duck could be a possibility?
greetings,
Jörn Lehmhus

Jan Harteman

Above: the unknown hybrid.

Would it be possible if this hybrid is a Anas sibilatrix X Dendrocygna species, because of its head shape, colouration, bill shape, body shape (lenght) etc.
Probably Dendrocygna bicolor or Dendrocygna viduata is involved?

Dendrocygna bicolor / Fulvous whistling duck / Gele fluiteend

Dendrocygna viduata / White-faced whistling duck / Witwang fluiteend

Anas sibilatrix / Chiloé wigeon / Chileense smient

Alcedo atthis

I can see what you mean, but I doubt it- as far as i know there are no hybrids between Dendrocygna and other Anatidae, as Dendrocygna stands quite isolated from other Anatidae. I only know of hybrids between different Dendrocygna species.

Or do you have other examples for hybrids Dendrocygna and other Anatidae???
greetings,
Jörn Lehmhus

Jan Harteman

Well.. I can't find any picture of Dendrocygna X other Anatidae, but I'm quite convinced it would be possible. There are even hybrids of Black swans X Canada geese and more weird crossbreeds like that.

Alcedo atthis

But the black swans and canada geese are still relatively close in evolutionary time and therefore not too dissimilar genetically (making such hybrids not a big surprise), whereas the subfamily Dendrocygninae are one of the oldest lines that split of from the main line within the Anatidae and should therefore be genetically very dissimilar to other groups of Anatidae.

In some classifications the Dendrocygninae were even considered as a separate family from other Anatidae, named Dendrocygnidae.

The Swans and Geese on the other hand are even in the same subfamily Anserinae within the Anatidae.
greetings,
Jörn Lehmhus

Birdison

Most likely Chiloe Wigeon - Anas sibilatrix x domestic duck imho

R.C.Grootenboer (Birdison = World Birdwatch)

JohanvantBosch

why not chiloe wigeon x aythya sp.

Pandion

Have to check if I have pictures on waarneming.nl somewhere, but I witnessed a Chiloe Wigeon male mate with a pale female domestic duck nearby. Just too much of a coincedence imho
R.C.Grootenboer (birdison = pandion)

Pandion

R.C.Grootenboer (birdison = pandion)

Alcedo atthis

I think chiloe wigeon x aythya may be the best solution .

Look at this website and have a look into AVES 2013 pdf. We had a duck that had a fairly similar eclipse plumage and I concluded mainly from the breeding plumage that it could be Chiloe wigeon x Aythya:

http://niedersachsen.nabu.de/tiereundpflanzen/vogelschutz/avison/
greetings,
Jörn Lehmhus