[Citizen Science] PhyscoHunt: help needed to find Physcomitrium pyriforme

Gestart door rmedina, januari 26, 2021, 15:29:30 PM

Vorige topic - Volgende topic

rmedina

Dear forum,

This is Rafael Medina, botanist at Complutense University, Madrid. I contact you on behalf of myself and two other researchers (Bernard Goffinet and Matt Johnson, both in the United States). For a couple of years we have been working on a research project on plant genome evolution using as a model organism the moss Physcomitrium pyriforme. This project has benefited from the participation of many professional and amateur naturalists that have donated samples to us, we called this citizen science program PhyscoHunt. We mostly implemented it on iNaturalist, so maybe you have heard about us if you use that platform.

PhyscoHunt was quite successful in the past years and we received many samples from naturalists in North America. However, we have hardly received any sample from Europe. Due to the pandemic, field work possibilities are even more reduced for us now.

Recently I realized (thanks to GBIF) that Waarnemingen users have observed Physcomitrium pyriforme very often in the Netherlands in the past years. It is a pity we did not know about this thriving network before, but we hope that maybe some of you feel motivated to contribute to our project as long as your local public health regulations allow you to continue your nature walks this year.

Physcomitrium pyriforme is a very common ephemeral moss, quite frequent next to croplands and sometimes also in urban gardens and lawns. In this link below you will find a simple flyer with the basic information about how to identify it and, if you want to help us, send a specimen for our research.
http://www.rafamedina.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/PhyscoHuntTrainingv2.pdf

I am also happy to answer questions, so feel free to email me.

Best regards

Rafa

rafael.medina@ucm.es
Twitter: @bryomedina
http://rafamedina.com

H Timans

Hi there,
you might also get much data if you contact the national herbarium for access to their collection (In dutch: nationaal herbarium nederland). In our national bryology and lichenology community (In Dutch: BLWG) you might also be capable to contact numerous people with huge private collections. Some of them are active on this forum.
Hope this helps.
Mvg Harold Timans

Pluijm

Citaat van: H Timans op januari 30, 2021, 16:27:10 PM
Hi there,
you might also get much data if you contact the national herbarium for access to their collection (In dutch: nationaal herbarium nederland). In our national bryology and lichenology community (In Dutch: BLWG) you might also be capable to contact numerous people with huge private collections. Some of them are active on this forum.
Hope this helps.
I think fresh capsules are needed Harold. So I think we all have to get out this spring!
Met vriendelijke groet,
Arno van der Pluijm

rmedina

Thank you both for your interest.

The bryological community of the Netherlands might be already aware thanks to bryonet and other avenues, I was particularly interested in reaching other naturalists that, it seems, are very good at finding Physcomitrium and other mosses on Waarneming!

Recent samples are strongly preferred to older herbarium specimens. Any contribution is welcome and I am happy to answer questions too.

Best wishes and stay healty!

Rafa

lukasverboom

You can expect a lot of Dutch samples this year, I'm sure! I'll try to contribute as well.

@Arno: Mosmail?
Groet,
Lukas

Marien bioloog
Favoriete groepen: korstmossen, mossen, schelpen, vleermuizen, mariene dingen.

Korstmossen in de tuin? https://forum.waarneming.nl/index.php/topic,464730.0.html

Pluijm

Citaat van: lukasverboom op februari 02, 2021, 17:20:24 PM
You can expect a lot of Dutch samples this year, I'm sure! I'll try to contribute as well.
I will try and post a link on Mosmail.
Met vriendelijke groet,
Arno van der Pluijm

marcel234

Citaat van: Pluijm op februari 02, 2021, 18:28:52 PM
Citaat van: lukasverboom op februari 02, 2021, 17:20:24 PM
I will try and post a link on Mosmail.
Dat lijkt gelukt. (was successful)