Panorpa species

Gestart door DJHiker, augustus 06, 2014, 16:53:53 PM

Vorige topic - Volgende topic

DJHiker

I would like to know which species this is
It concerns this sighting and others
http://waarneming.nl/waarneming/view/86977711
identification uncertain Panorpa vulgaris observed at 2009-08-14 Millingen aan de Rijn (gemeente)
Photos:

Some Panorpa photo's:
The specimen in photo's 1, 2 and 5 have the Dutch nationality, while the ones on photo's  3 and 4 are both from the mid/south of France (near Uzerche).
They are all females, so I realize that I am skating on thin ice regarding a scientifically justified photo-id. on the species level. However, I hope that a Panorpa connoisseur may  be able to recognize some of them.

My tentative id's are:

Photo 1 (Millingen, The Netherlands, 14-08-2009) and photo 5 (Kromme Rade, The Netherlands, 12-07-2014)
Both P. vulgaris, based on size of basal wing spot

Photo 2 (Breukelen, The Netherlands, 24-06-2010)
P. cognata, based on red head. According to Pierre Tillier at http://www.insecte.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=44195&p=340609&hilit=panorpa+panorpa+cognata+femelle#p340609, a reddish head in the north of France is an almost certain cognata, so that might apply for the Netherlands as well.

Photo 3 and 4 (Uzerche, France, 02-07-2011) (different specimens)
P. cognata? or impossible to identify? I think in the south of France a red colored head doesn't necessarily point to cognata. Besides in photo 3 , the wing markings don't look so cognata-like (imho).

thanks in advance David Kohl
David Kohl

Arp

Hi David,

I'm a bit pressed for time, so not too much explanation:

Nr. 1 is vulgaris. But be careful, as very heavily marked specimen of germanica can have a large basal spot also. On those, however, the rest of the wing markings would be different from this one.

Photo 2 (1st attachment) - "cognata":
This is communis. For the colour of the head you have to look at the cranium behind the ocelli. On this specimen that area is dark/black. Also the wing markings are a perfect fit for communis.

Photo 3 (2nd attachment) - "sp":
Another communis with more heavily marked wings. Very vulgaris-like wings, but that species would have a larger basal spot to fit the rest of the wing.

Photo 4 (3rd attachment) - "cognata":
Can't say (=> sp.). Might be cognata (the head could be reddish), but I would really need to see more of the top of the head and the wing pattern to attempt an ID.

Photo 5 (4th attachment) - "vulgaris":
:right:

Groetengedoe, Arp (wrn - JungleDragon)

DJHiker

Thanks Arp,
as always, your explanation is more than adequate.
At least it is clear that my interpretation of the term "head" has been somewhat too broad.
Cheers,
David

David Kohl