Crow colur mutation?

Gestart door batsvensson, november 02, 2012, 09:33:41 AM

Vorige topic - Volgende topic

batsvensson

I noticed several crows has shades in white/gray like in this picture, but I am curious what may causes these color deviations in crows. Is it a genetic mutations or some other cause?

joostheeremans

It seems to be quite common among crows and jackdaws and it is believed that it is because of their diets. But to be honest, I have never seen scientific evidence for that connection.
MvG Joost Heeremans

- Do geese see god ?-

batsvensson

Citaat van: joostheeremans op november 02, 2012, 12:41:21 PM
It seems to be quite common among crows and jackdaws and it is believed that it is because of their diets. But to be honest, I have never seen scientific evidence for that connection.

Well I was thinking perhaps that was the cause as well, but how do one explain a crowd of 35-45ish crows, that seams to share the same diet, and the only some of them has it? I mean a crows is supposed to be black, right? So if it was diet related would that not mean they lack some nutrients then? But then again, why with only a few? If it is diet related then I could dream up a hypothesis that diet only is a secondary cause, and the first cause is a genetic malfunction of some kind. Back to square one as to say. That is why I asked my questions.

batsvensson

Or perhaps these other "birds" that lives nearby at Schiphool affect their diet in some way... (can accumulated toxins be a cause?)

batsvensson

An explanation I found to this color patterns is 'leucism', which cause a defects in pigmented cells (i.e. a form of albinism).