English as standard language?

Gestart door jan wind, maart 14, 2013, 21:13:10 PM

Vorige topic - Volgende topic

jan wind

I just wonder why Observado is mainly used by Dutch speaking people. In fact I first thought observado was a website for Dutch speaking people on holiday outside Holland and Belgium.

I assume that the purpose of the website is to reach interested individuals and groups all over the world. It might help to "internationalize" the site.

On other sites such as Diptera.info people limit communication in English. What do you think?

met vriendelijke groet,
Jan & Mariƫtte
https://www.diptera-in-beeld.nl
(info over 99 families en 1200 soorten vliegen en muggen)

Henri van Dodeweerd

Dit is een forum bij waarneming.nl. Dus wat mij betreft gewoon in het Nederlands. Als iemand in het Engels een vraag stelt over een waarneming in het buitenland, dan krijgt hij ook altijd in het engels antwoord.

Ik zie het probleem niet zo.
Met vriendelijke groet,
Henri van Dodeweerd

Stan.

Yeah, I think observado should get its own exclusively-english forum. The problem is that non-dutch speaking people can't read half of the posts even in topics that start in english, like this one. That drives people away from the forum and perhaps even from observado.org itself. It's only logical for a site that wants to be international to be fully in english. I think an english forum could really help observado become more important internationally. In fact, it's hard to take the site's international aspirations seriously if it points to a dutch forum..
Groeten,
Stan van Remmerden

Gerard Troost

Citaat van: jan wind op maart 14, 2013, 21:13:10 PM
I just wonder why Observado is mainly used by Dutch speaking people. In fact I first thought observado was a website for Dutch speaking people on holiday outside Holland and Belgium.

I assume that the purpose of the website is to reach interested individuals and groups all over the world. It might help to "internationalize" the site.

On other sites such as Diptera.info people limit communication in English. What do you think?

hear hear!
Groet,
Gerard Troost
www.trektellen.org
www.twitter.com/migrations

www.twitter.com/trektellen

jan wind

Stan I think you mention the relevant things that matter

Gerard, could you possibly elaborate your thoughts

Kind regards,
Jan Wind

met vriendelijke groet,
Jan & Mariƫtte
https://www.diptera-in-beeld.nl
(info over 99 families en 1200 soorten vliegen en muggen)