Onbekende fraaie mot op Bali, Indonesië (1)

Gestart door MJE, november 29, 2011, 13:08:58 PM

Vorige topic - Volgende topic

MJE

Aangetroffen 's avonds op de buitenmuur van mijn jungle house van de prachtige Sarinbuana Eco Lodge, nabij het regenwoud van Mount Batukaru op Bali, Indonesië op 17 oktober 2011.

Heeft iemand enig idee wat voor mot dit is?

Reacties worden bijzonder op prijs gesteld! Alvast bedankt!
Hartelijke groet,
Mark Eising (www.markeisingbirding.com (voorheen: www.markeisingbirding.nl))

MJE

Ik heb een entomoloog, Sachin Gurule, in India geraadpleegd en hij is zo vriendelijk geweest om me te helpen met mijn Bali motten. De prachtige witte dame is volgens hem Perina nuda. Het mannetje is heel anders, namelijk veel donkerder.
Leuk hoor, weer een leuk internationaal contact in India!
Hartelijke groet,

Arp

Ha Mark,

Top dat je hulp hebt gevonden - en een naam. De Flickr-stream van Sachin Gurule is ook meteen weer een mooie zoek-galerij  :duim:

Ik haak maar weer eens aan met iets dat er volgens mij genoeg op lijkt dat het in de nabije verwantschap moet liggen. Zie observatie 61987553:

Ø Arp
cf. Leucomini? (Perina sp.??)
Bromo Tengger Semeru NP, Java

Ø Arp

Ø Arp

I will continue in English, as hopefully at some point international/regional experts may be invited to read along.

As for the Perina nuda suggested by Sachin Gurule we may, once again, have a problem with the documented distribution data. First though I would like to thank Sachin Gurule for the name and Mark for passing it on - it makes searching just sooo much easier to have a good starting point :duim:

For distribution data, I have been using funet.fi (by Markku Savela), but with every species/photo I "research" it is becoming more and more clear that quite a lot must still be missing from his lists. This is not criticism, by no means - I have nothing but the deepest respect for the incredible work he has already done, but it just is a humongous project that will still take much more work to approach completion (which it probably never will). So, we should just accept this, be thankful for what is there and collect our own additions from many, many sources (which I plan to pass on to Markku of course), all the time realizing that we are working with incomplete data, and hence be cautious about the assumptions we make from that. 

Anyway: Savela's lists Perina nuda for India and South China (or at least, that is the summary - I did not try to find or read all the references listed). Meantime he lists various species in Perina that do have a documented distribution in Indonesia:

• Perina lodra (Moore, 1860) : Java, Sumatra, Bali. (orig. Euproctis lodra Moore, 1860)
  • Perina kalisi Collenette, 1949 : Bali
  • Perina psamma (Collenette, 1933) : Sulawesi ("Celebes"). (org. Euproctis psamma Collenette, 1933)
  • Perina sunda Holloway, 1999 : Sundaland, Philippines.
  • ... ?
Interestingly he notes that Perina sunda is misidentified as Perina nuda in Heterocera Sumatrana, Vol.7(2):135 - as noted by Holloway (1999). So, at least Perina sunda should look sufficiently similar to nuda.

The question remains if Perina nuda is known from Bali at all (or Indonesia for that matter). From the funet-data, I would tend to be hesitative about that, and the discussion of the genus Perina by Holloway seems to support that:
CiteerThis species extends from the Indian Subregion to southern China but has not so far been recorded from Sundaland.
But that was 1999(?)

Nevertheless, with the limited(!) data I've looked at, for Java we would have at least lodra and possibly sunda and for Bali Perina kalisi would need to be considered additionally, though rare apparently(?).

To add insult to injury, Holloway mentions the genera Leucoma and Dendrophleps as possible candidates for confusion in the females, and indeed his gallery of leucomini gives some cause to that. Worse still, he also mentions that in the past Perina females have been confused with Nygmiini.

For my "whitey" that leaves me altogether unsure, as I have no sound idea of what to look at (not a Lepidopterist). Can it be confirmed as a Perina or maybe Leucomini? Or should I even leave other options open, such as Nygmiini?
P.S. from looking at images it would seem that, at least for my whitey other options in the likes of Orvasca and certainly Euproctis (with many species on Java) are equally likely candidates .... (help!  :rolleyes: )
Groetengedoe, Arp (wrn - JungleDragon)

MJE

Hi Arp,

Ik heb je zeer interessante opmerkingen goed gelezen en e.e.a. op de diverse pagina's gecheckt. Het klopt (vanzelfsprekend) allemaal wat je zegt, dus ik heb Sachin een mail gestuurd met jouw opmerkingen over de Perida nuda. Ben benieuwd hoe hij reageert.

Het is verdomd jammer dat er zo weinig informatie beschikbaar is, en al helemaal wat betreft foto's!

Ik houd je op de hoogte!
Hartelijke groet,